Issue #14688 has been updated by usa (Usaku NAKAMURA).

I suspect that deprecating `Net::ProtoServerError` is wrong.
The exception seems to be "something error reported from server", and is derived not only by `Net::HTTPServerException` but also `Net::SMTPServerBusy`.

Feature #14688: Net::HTTPResponse#value raises "Net::HTTPServerException" in 4xx response

* Author: unasuke (Yusuke Nakamura)
* Assignee: naruse (Yui NARUSE)
* Target version:
Call `value` method to an instance of `Net::HTTPResponse` it raises `Net::HTTPServerException` in case of HTTP response status code is 4xx.

But HTTP response status code 4xx means "Client error response" not "Server response" so I think that's wrong naming.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status#Client_error_responses

Therefore, I think it's maybe specifications bug, but it cause breaking changes in many ruby programs to change exception name.

I propose to create `Net::HTTPClientException` as alias of the `Net::HTTPServerException` for compatibility.

lib_net_http_exceptions.patch (999 Bytes)
lib_net_http_exceptions_with_deprecate.patch (1.08 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/