sam.saffron / gmail.com wrote:
> A general pattern I notice in the PG / MySQL and other gems is
> a general need for a C string to RVALUE type casting.
>
> A lot of the problem is that the libpq likes returning strings
> and you do not want to allocate an extra RVALUE string for an
> IP address or Date and so on when returning data for the data
> set.

What Jeremy said about Date and IPAddr being in stdlib and not core.

So I don't think this doable unless we start stuffing those
things into core.

Fwiw, the overhead of those objects (especially Time) has always
been frustrating to me; I'd much rather have Time functionality
built around Integers.

So I wonder if we should support more operations on Integers
instead of having fancy objects...

> `rb_cstr2ipaddr` `rb_cstr2time` `rb_cstr2date` `rb_cstr2macaddr`

Another thing: No more "cstr" functions, please.
Any parsers should take an explicit size arg for safety
and performance instead of relying on '\0' terminator.