Feature #14478: String #uminus should de-dupe unconditionally

* Author: sam.saffron (Sam Saffron)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
continuing: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14475

Current documentation for String uminus says: "If the string is frozen, then return the string itself."

Trouble is that there is no simple way to de-duplicate unconditionally without inefficiency:

Say `x` is an arbitrary string (either frozen or unfrozen) :

```
x = -x # may return a non fstring

x = -+x # will return fstring, but makes an unneeded copy

x = -x.dup # fstring again, uneeded copy

x = x.frozen? ? -+x : -x # too verbose, uneeded copy
```

Instead why not change it so `-` is deduped unconditionally?

I would argue this is worth backporting, cause if we are making fstring optimisations now, we are going to be stuck with legacy inefficient code going forward.

An alternative may be a c-extension gem that adds #fstring to String but that just feel wrong.

I think the documentation should say:

String uminus says: "If the string is de-duplicated, then return the string itself."

Happy to make the change it is quite simple:`(FL_TEST(str, RSTRING_FSTR)`

0001-String-uminus-dedupes-unconditionally.patch (2.03 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/