On Aug 24, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Kent Sibilev wrote:

> I agree the situation with ri is quite bad. Besides several apparent
> bugs that must be fixed, ri has a new feature where it collects
> information about a requested class from all installed gems. I
> understand the intention for this, but the implementation is not good
> enough.
>
> For example, when I want to see methods of class Array, ri shows me
> methods from builtin Array class plus methods added to Array by all
> gem authors. But it doesn't show me what gem a particular method comes
> from.

I'm working on it, but haven't figure out how to do it right yet.
RDoc is a very large and complicated piece of software.

> This is wrong!!! Considering that no one can force gem authors
> to provide a complete rdoc for their libraries, in the result you have
> a mess.

The standard library's documentation is far from complete.  I've
found I'll get equal quality from a random gem.  Hiding the problem
won't entice people to fix the anything.  Adding some sunshine and
some eyeballs might.

In practice mixing documentation from classes isn't a problem that
creates confusion.  time.rb and time.c are mixed and complaints or
confusion in the IRC channel are rare.

> Can I ask to make this feature optional and make --system option
> enabled by default, until the situation is resolved?

The feature is of too great a general use for it to be disabled for
such a minor problem.

ri Rake::TestTask
ri ActiveRecord::Base

It is easy to only search particular documentation collections by
default:

export RI='--system'

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com