On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 06:53:45AM +0900, Dave Howell wrote:
> cvs update, eh? Hmm. Off to commune with the 'man'. $ man cvs, that is.

I'm really glad for your lengthy input, Dave, and I'm working on a second page
which covers building and installing Ruby and keeping up with Ruby.  Specific
distributions (OSX/Debian/RedHat) be offered some additional links to
blogs/manual materials.

The biggest difference between compiling Ruby from CVS and a normal tarball is:
`autoreconf -ivf`, which will generate the ./configure and assorted Makefiles.

The building howto will cover:

 * autoreconf
 * ./configure (including a brief --prefix explanation)
 * make; make install
 * adding ruby to your $PATH
 * and, if no one objects, I'd like to point out ZenTest, which has a
   multiruby tool for managing many different Ruby versions.

_why