dennisb55 / hotmail.com wrote:
> P.S. I doubt that glibc will ever be *fixed* since the current
> behaviour suits the customers Red Hat services and Red Hat
> themselves are the effective maintainers of glibc.

Reading some glibc mailing list (libc-alpha) posts last year,
I remember excessive RSS usage is one of the areas they're
tackling due to user complaints.

Heck, I even seem to even recall a half-hearted proposal a few
years ago to use jemalloc in glibc.

I should also note the newish glibc 2.26 has the thread-caching
malloc as a build-time option, so it should reduce contention on
arenas and allow using fewer arenas.

We also have regular contributions from Red Hat employees
to Ruby, so I think RH does care about Ruby to some degree;
and I don't think the allocation patterns for Ruby would be
too different from a lot of existing software.

(I have no affiliation with Red Hat, past or present)