On Aug 24, 2006, at 9:37, mathew wrote:

> In that case, I'd say forget about building 1.9. You don't need it.

Yay. :)

> Then when I'm done I use cvs diff to generate the updates as a patch,
> and
> shoot them off to someone on the ruby-doc list who can check them for
> sanity
> and actually apply them.

And I see that some more information about this has appeared on the
ruby-core page. That does raise a question, though. Step 3 now says
"Create a patch. cvs diff > ruby-1.8-changes.patch"  Below that, it
says "Please Note: patches should be submitted as a unified diff." So
does cvs diff make 'unified diffs' by default, or is a -u switch
missing?

> Really, once you've mastered the initial checkout there are three
> commands
> you need to worry about: cvs diff, cvs update (once a week or so to
> keep up
> to date) and rdoc.

cvs update, eh? Hmm. Off to commune with the 'man'. $ man cvs, that is.

> I'd suggest heading over to ruby-doc for more help on this topic.

<grin> I subscribed to ruby-doc first. That's what eventually led me to
ruby-core.