Issue #14723 has been updated by noahgibbs (Noah Gibbs).

I've now run a lot more batches of Rails Ruby Bench - 100 batches of 10,000 HTTP requests/batch. I am *definitely* seeing lower performance and more variance with Sleepy GC. Overall, Sleepy GC gets 169.4 req/sec mean throughput with variance of 6.4, while the previous commit gets 177.0 req/sec throughput with a variance of 3.8. So Sleepy GC v3 costs about 4% performance for Rails Ruby Bench running flat-out and completely parallel.

Feature #14723: [WIP] sleepy GC

* Author: normalperson (Eric Wong)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
The idea is to use "idle time" when process is otherwise sleeping
and using no CPU time to perform GC.  It makes sense because real
world traffic sees idle time due to network latency and waiting
for user input.

Right now, it's Linux-only.  Future patches will affect other sleeping
functions:

  IO.select, Kernel#sleep, Thread#join, Process.waitpid, etc...

I don't know if this patch can be implemented for win32, right
now it's just dummy functions and that will be somebody elses
job.  But all pthreads platforms should eventually benefit.

Before this patch, the entropy-dependent script below takes 95MB
consistently on my system.  Now, depending on the amount of
entropy on my system, it takes anywhere from 43MB to 75MB.

I'm using /dev/urandom to simulate real-world network latency
variations.  There is no improvement when using /dev/zero
because the process is never idle.

  require 'net/http'
  require 'digest/md5'
  Thread.abort_on_exception = true
  s = TCPServer.new('127.0.0.1', 0)
  len = 1024 * 1024 * 1024
  th = Thread.new do
    c = s.accept
    c.readpartial(16384)
    c.write("HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\nContent-Length: #{len}\r\n\r\n")
    IO.copy_stream('/dev/urandom', c, len)
    c.close
  end

  addr = s.addr
  Net::HTTP.start(addr[3], addr[1]) do |http|
    http.request_get('/') do |res|
      dig = Digest::MD5.new
      res.read_body { |buf|
        dig.update(buf)
      }
      puts dig.hexdigest

The above script is also dependent on net/protocol using
read_nonblock.  Ordinary IO objects will need IO#nonblock=true
to see benefits (because they never hit rb_wait_for_single_fd)

* gc.c (rb_gc_inprogress): new function
  (rb_gc_step): ditto
* internal.h: declare prototypes for new gc.c functions
* thread_pthread.c (gvl_contended_p): new function
* thread_win32.c (gvl_contended_p): ditto (dummy)
* thread.c (rb_wait_for_single_fd w/ ppoll):
  use new functions to perform GC while GVL is uncontended
  and GC is lazy sweeping or incremental marking
  [ruby-core:86265]
```

2 part patch broken out
https://80x24.org/spew/20180429035007.6499-2-e / 80x24.org/raw