I agree the situation with ri is quite bad. Besides several apparent
bugs that must be fixed, ri has a new feature where it collects
information about a requested class from all installed gems. I
understand the intention for this, but the implementation is not good
enough.

For example, when I want to see methods of class Array, ri shows me
methods from builtin Array class plus methods added to Array by all
gem authors. But it doesn't show me what gem a particular method comes
from. This is wrong!!! Considering that no one can force gem authors
to provide a complete rdoc for their libraries, in the result you have
a mess.

Can I ask to make this feature optional and make --system option
enabled by default, until the situation is resolved?

Thank you.

On 8/24/06, Johan Holmberg <holmberg / iar.se> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have noticed the previous threads about problems with ri in the
> upcoming 1.8.5. Today I tried ri myself using a fresh CVS-checkout of
> the "ruby_1_8" branch.
>
> There seem to be quite a number of problems. I don't know if some of
> them are "wellknown" and considered unimportant to fix in 1.8.5. But it
> seems to me that it would be a good idea to fix some of them before the
> 1.8.5 release.
>
> Below is a list of things I found. I mention some things only once, even
> if it reappears in severals classes.
>
> /Johan Holmberg

> ri Array
> --------
>
> - "each_cons", "each_slice", "enum_cons", "enum_slice",
>    "enum_with_index" are *not* members of the included Enumerable
>    (they are defined in the "enumerator" library)
>
> - "pretty_print", "pretty_print_cycle" are *not* members of Array
>    (they are defined in the "pp" library)
>
> - there is no method "quote"
>
> - "to_yaml", "yaml_initialize" are *not* members of Array
>
> - what is "dclone" ???
>

> ri Bignum
> ---------
>
> - operators "/" and "**" mentioned twice
>
> - there is no method "power!" (but see library "rational")
>

> ri Dir
> ------
>
> - garbage intro text for class
>
> ri Errno
> --------
>
> - garbage text for class
>
> ri File
> -------
>
> - garbage intro text for class
>

> ri String
> ---------
>
> - methods & constants from several others source (that re-open String)
>

> ri Time
> -------
>
> - garbage intro text for class

Kent