I've already said to Shyouhei, his patch has a problem: configure script fails on an environment where jemalloc is unavailable.  I have hoped that those who want to make jemalloc default would found (and fix) the issue.

With the intention of including some self-discipline: If you want to change anything, we should not just repeat "I want! It should be! Trust me!".  Instead, we should pay for it.  Please act seriously.  In this case, please consider and clarify the goal, propose and compare multiple concrete plans for the goal, and write/review/test a patch.

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?

* Author: mperham (Mike Perham)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I know Sam opened #9113 4 years ago to suggest this but I'm revisiting the topic to see if there's any movement here for Ruby 2.6 or 2.7.  I supply a major piece of Ruby infrastructure (Sidekiq) and I keep hearing over and over how Ruby is terrible with memory, a huge memory hog with their Rails apps.  My users switch to jemalloc and a miracle occurs: their memory usage drops massively.  Some data points:

https://twitter.com/brandonhilkert/status/987400365627801601
https://twitter.com/d_jones/status/989866391787335680
https://github.com/mperham/sidekiq/issues/3824#issuecomment-383072469

Redis moved to jemalloc many years ago and it solved all of their memory issues too.  Their conclusion: the glibc allocator "sucks really really hard". http://oldblog.antirez.com/post/everything-about-redis-24.html

This is a real pain point for the entire Rails community and would improve Ruby's reputation immensely if we can solve this problem.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/