Issue #14718 has been updated by bluz71 (Dennis B).

sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) wrote:

> - On Linux X64 default to downloading a validated (using SHA1) tcmalloc/jemalloc from a particular location, allow for a flag to bypass this behavior

I have experimented with both tcmalloc and jemalloc and I am very strongly of the opinion that jemalloc is the appropriate allocator, out of the two, for Ruby (on Linux). I found tcmalloc to be a little bit more performant than jemalloc but at the expense of clearly higher memory utilisation. The main Ruby need is long-lived memory stability and low utilisation (jemalloc excels at both). I've also found jemalloc (like tcmalloc) to be more performant than glibc (a bonus win).

> I know why everyone is so nervous here, but the bad behavior of glibc malloc on Linux is hurting Ruby's reputation a lot.

This is a genuine pain point no doubt.

It is good to see shyouhei's proposed change just above. Even just linking against a system supplied jemalloc library, by default, will be a great step forward.

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?