Issue #14718 has been updated by bluz71 (Dennis B).

shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) wrote:
> You can explicitly specify `--with-jemalloc`, for a long time.  I don't see any practical reason why that's insufficient.  I can turn it default on.  Anything beyond that requires a good reason to do so, not just  "everybody else is jumping off the ridge" thing.

Turning on `--with-jemalloc` by default for the Linux platform achieves the desired result we want.

I will be more than pleased if this is the final result. Can you do this?

Note, this will be a new build time dependency on Linux which should not be an issue since all major Linux distributions will provide the jemalloc library and development packages in their base repositories (`libjemalloc-dev` for Debian-based systems).

> Please.  I want to make the situation better.  Why do we have to bundle 3rd-party source codes?

Correct, no bundling is strictly required, it just offered a known-quantity since different jemalloc versions will be shipped with the various Linux distributions.

I still believe a `--without-jemalloc` option should be provided as an escape hatch.

Also, if this change happens then we should contact the various Ruby build/version systems (rvm, rbenv and chruby/ruby-install) about this since they should change their auto-install-dependency engines to also include jemalloc (on Linux). I can do all that if the default changes.

If this change happens for Ruby 2.6 I genuinely believe that very many long-lived Ruby-based applications will benefit from this change.

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?