Issue #14718 has been updated by bluz71 (Dennis B).

> - Just enable `--with-jemalloc` default on, only for Linux.

This is my close 2nd favoured option.

> - Detect glibc on startup and try linking jemalloc then.

No, too complicated. I don't think anyone wants this.

> - Bundle jemalloc and link it statically.

My favoured, but I understand if this is not desired. Similar to shipping and linking in a big JIT library is not desired.

Just enabling `--with-jemalloc` would satisfy pretty much most (myself included). On Linux it would be one extra dependency at build time (for distros, rvm/rbenv/ruby-install). Dependency management on the main Linux distros is quite easy these days; heck Redis already has such a dependency.

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?