Issue #14743 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I can't answer your two questions, but for what it's worth,
aycabta commented on the linked/associated github issue:

> I think that GitHub's UI isn't important for Ruby. And,
> I don't want to optimize RDoc for GitHub.

I personally am not hugely active on github, but I am very
active on rubygems.org. There, I do try to have my README.md
files work, bcause end users may want to read it. (I actually
autogenerated these .md files, through ruby, via a README.gen
template).

I use only very plain markdown rules; rdoc-ref would seem
way too complex for me to use. :D

IMO, many people use github to browse and read source code
and I think that many more people do so these days, as
compared to reading a .md file locally/offline, so I personally
think that github UI is also important, simply because people
make use of it a lot.

I don't know of a solution that works for both, but I think
rdoc could be fixed more easily. If aycabta does not want to
do so that is fine; perhaps someone else has an idea, or we
may have a solution that works on both. At any rate, that is
just my 2 cc.

Bug #14743: Some links broken in README