Issue #14718 has been updated by davidtgoldblatt (David Goldblatt).

Hi, I'm a jemalloc dev (sorry I didn't see this earlier, I try to keep an eye out for mentions on bug trackers). I don't have any insights about our performance vs. glibc's on Ruby workloads, but as far as correctness goes, I don't think the strdup concern is correct. The linker and loader should ensure that all references to allocator functions resolve to the jemalloc versions if any do. Replacing the allocator is also a documented feature of glibc (see https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Replacing-malloc.html#Replacing-malloc), so if there *is* some sort of linking screwiness happening, I suspect that their upstream will regard it as a true bug.

Feature #14718: Use jemalloc by default?

* Author: mperham (Mike Perham)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I know Sam opened #9113 4 years ago to suggest this but I'm revisiting the topic to see if there's any movement here for Ruby 2.6 or 2.7.  I supply a major piece of Ruby infrastructure (Sidekiq) and I keep hearing over and over how Ruby is terrible with memory, a huge memory hog with their Rails apps.  My users switch to jemalloc and a miracle occurs: their memory usage drops massively.  Some data points:

https://twitter.com/brandonhilkert/status/987400365627801601
https://twitter.com/d_jones/status/989866391787335680
https://github.com/mperham/sidekiq/issues/3824#issuecomment-383072469

Redis moved to jemalloc many years ago and it solved all of their memory issues too.  Their conclusion: the glibc allocator "sucks really really hard". http://oldblog.antirez.com/post/everything-about-redis-24.html

This is a real pain point for the entire Rails community and would improve Ruby's reputation immensely if we can solve this problem.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/