mperham / gmail.com wrote:
> An alternative is to tune glibc by reducing the number of arenas. Call this on startup:
>
>     #include "malloc.h"
>     mallopt(M_ARENA_MAX, 2)

Probably acceptable.  We need to verify it doesn't crash on
systems where Ruby is built against various glibc versions but
somebody tests with jemalloc via LD_PRELOAD.

We will also respect getenv("MALLOC_ARENA_MAX") if set; as I
prefer MALLOC_ARENA_MAX=1 for my low-priority stuff.

Btw, do you have more information on which version(s) of glibc
and compile options (or distro package) used?

I would like the Ruby community to work more closely with glibc
developers in the future.  Thanks.