Issue #14719 has been reported by theirishpenguin (Declan McGrath).

Bug #14719: FalseClass wrapping a SimpleDelegator evaluates to true in an IF statement
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14719

* Author: theirishpenguin (Declan McGrath)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.4.1p111 (2017-03-22 revision 58053) [x86_64-linux]
Hi, thanks for Ruby :-)

I have run into a problem. When I wrap the boolean false in a SimpleDelegator it breaks the semantics of the boolean when evaluated in expressions such as IF statements - returning true when I would have expected false.

Here is a test case...

~~~ ruby
class BoldBool < SimpleDelegator
end

false_bool = BoldBool.new(false)

if false_bool
    puts "I'm evaluated as true but I should be false."
end
~~~

When I run it I get:
#=>I'm evaluated as true but I should be false.

Expected result:
No output.

I understand that there may be good reasons for why this is happening (eg. the class of the object false_bool may be a BoldBool and this is not a FalseClass) however it breaks the fundamental semantics of a boolean - in which case I think we should consider raising an ArgumentError in the Ruby language if a Boolean is passed to the constructor of a SimpleDelegator.

I tried to workaround the problem by overriding equals?(). I am guessing that this would be the correct approach - and that this is what is used by the IF expression to determine whether it is dealing with a truthy object or a falsey...

~~~ ruby
class BoldBool < SimpleDelegator
    def equal?(obj)
        if __getobj__.is_a? FalseClass and obj == false
            return true
        else
            __getobj__.equal?(obj)

false_bool = BoldBool.new(false)

if false_bool
    puts "I'm evaluated as true but I should be false."
end
~~~

However this gives me the error...

~~~ ruby
/home/me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.1/lib/ruby/2.4.0/delegate.rb:313:in `__getobj__': not delegated (ArgumentError)
        from simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_equals_override.rb:5:in `equal?'
        from /home/me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.1/lib/ruby/2.4.0/delegate.rb:333:in `__setobj__'
        from /home/me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.1/lib/ruby/2.4.0/delegate.rb:72:in `initialize'
        from simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_equals_override.rb:13:in `new'
        from simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_equals_override.rb:13:in `<main>'
~~~

If I try an even simpler override approach as an experiment this errors too...

~~~ ruby
class BoldBool < SimpleDelegator
    def equal?(obj)
        true

false_bool = BoldBool.new(false)

if false_bool
    puts "I'm evaluated as true but I should be false."
end
~~~

... with the error...

~~~ ruby
/home/me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.1/lib/ruby/2.4.0/delegate.rb:333:in `__setobj__': cannot delegate to self (ArgumentError)
        from /home/me/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.1/lib/ruby/2.4.0/delegate.rb:72:in `initialize'
        from simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_simple_equals_override.rb:9:in `new'
        from simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_simple_equals_override.rb:9:in `<main>'
~~~

Is this SimpleDelegator behaviour a bug? (downloadable files attached containing the above snippets).

simple_delegator_on_boolean.rb (167 Bytes)
simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_equals_override.rb (335 Bytes)
simple_delegator_on_boolean_with_simple_equals_override.rb (208 Bytes)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/