On 8/21/06, Hugh Sasse <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> wrote:

> And finally, should I just shut up?

No!  Considering that a lot of code (basically any Ruby program)
relies on this code being correct, running the Ruby sources through
the most stringent checking makes sense.  Not that I doubt the skills
of the devs, but everyone makes mistakes.  I can't count the number of
hard-to-find-otherwise bugs that have been caught by -Wall and some of
the other more hard-core -W-switches.

Fine, one may argue that "while (c = *str++) { ... }" is perfectly
legal C, but you'll curse yourself when you waste 3 hours looking for
that missing equals-sign somewhere else in your code.

  nikolai