```
def interpolate(obj)
  if obj == nil
    ''
  else
    obj.to_s # assuming this is current behavior
```

phluid61 (Matthew Kerwin) wrote:
> I'm confused; are you proposing that `nil.to_s` returns the same String object every time, or that string interpolation detects a `nil` object and optimises it?
>
> A lot of times I rely on `"#{foo}"` returning a new String object that contains a copy of the #to_s of `foo`, so it seems to me like spec that `"#{nil}"` returns a new empty string every time.

Bug #14624: #{nil} allocates a fresh empty string each time

* Author: bumblingbear (Dillon Welch)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
This causes a bunch of unnecessary string allocations in the following scenario: "#{'rails' unless boolean_condition} is great". Each time this line is called when boolean_condition is true, it evaluates to nil and when nil is interpolated into a string it allocates an empty string. Ideally, the behavior of nil.to_s would reference a frozen empty string that wouldn't need to be reallocated each time.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/