On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, J.Herre wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 08:01 PM, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> * Neither technique guarantees: (f.b=a) == (f.b)

I don't think I have seen the following scheme on this list yet:
 * f.b = a would behave like (f.b=a; f.b)
 * that is, return value of #b= is ignored...
 * then #b is called and its return value is used...
 * optionally, in void context, the parser could cut the call to #b

I'm not particularly advocating any of the three schemes, but I think the
above one can compete with the two others.

> Maybe it's possible to automatically create or infer set_ aliases?

class Module
  def settify
    instance_methods.grep(/=/).each {|s|
      alias_method "set_"+s.sub(/=$/,''), s