It was introduced at [r52422] once, but removed soon at [r52430] by a matz's objection.

[r52422]: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/dbf73f6fc2a4b0414110eea64a9f98d33c2cf930
[r52430]: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/a3ee54f8a653f2e7c8ea88ef5ee9f3a49a248447

Feature #14548: Allow some_array&.[1] to be a valid syntax

* Author: rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Currently, Ruby allows accessing an array's index while testing whether the array is not nil with this syntax: my_array&.[](1). I've always found this awkward but didn't mind about suggesting anything to improve this.

I was just reading about how JavaScript is probably going to support myArray?.[1] and found that it read good enough for me.

So I'd like to propose about the same syntax, replacing ?. with the Ruby equivalent &. instead. How does that look like to you?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/