On 02/19/2018 05:17 PM, sam.saffron / gmail.com wrote:
> Issue #12589 has been updated by sam.saffron (Sam Saffron).
>

> I just measured your branch using Discourse bench at: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/script/bench.rb
>
> Looks like it is a bit slower than master:
Trace insn are still generated on the branch. The current trunk does
not generate them. Removing trace insns by Koichi improved performance
by about 10%. I believe the branch will be faster when the trace insns
are also removed there. But it is hard to predict what the actual
improvement will be after that.
> RTL:
>
> ```
> timings:
>    load_rails: 3749
> ruby-version: 2.5.0-p-1
> rss_kb: 247952
> pss_kb: 236618
> memorysize: 5.88 GB
> virtual: vmware
> architecture: amd64
> operatingsystem: Ubuntu
> processor0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
> physicalprocessorcount: 1
> kernelversion: 4.4.0
>
> ```
>
> Master
>
> ```
> timings:
>    load_rails: 3789
> ruby-version: 2.6.0-p-1
> rss_kb: 276588
> pss_kb: 265237
> memorysize: 5.88 GB
> virtual: vmware
> architecture: amd64
> operatingsystem: Ubuntu
> processor0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
> physicalprocessorcount: 1
> kernelversion: 4.4.0
>
> ```
>
> Very interesting to see the significant memory improvement, is that expected?
No. Actually I expected more memory usage for RTL. It is hard for me to
say a reason for memory improvement for now. When the current trunk
will be merged into the branch, I could speculate more. Now the branch
code is far behind (about 13 months) the current trunk.