Issue #12589 has been updated by vmakarov (Vladimir Makarov).

  Last 4 months I've been working on generation of RTL from stack
insns.  The reason for this is that stack insns are already a part of
CRuby.  The current generation of RTL directly from the nodes actually
would remove this interface.

  Another reason for this work is to simplify future merging RTL and
MJIT branches with the trunk.

  I think I've reached a project state when I can make the branch
public.  But still there are lot of things to do for this project.

  Generation of RTL from stack insns is a harder task than one from
nodes.  When we generate RTL from nodes we have a lot of context.
When we generate RTL from stack insns we need to reconstruct this
context (from different CFG paths in a stack insn sequence).

  To reconstruct the context we emulate VM stack and can pass a stack
insn sequence several times.  First we calculate possible stack values
on the label.  It is a typical forward data flow problem in compilers
(the final fixed point is only temporaries on the emulated stack).
Then using this info we actually generate RTL insns on the last pass.

  I was afraid that stack insn -> RTL generation might considerably
slow done CRuby.  Fortunately, it is not the case.  This generation
for optcarrot with one frame (it means practically no execution) takes
about 0.2% of all CRuby run time.  Running empty script takes about 2%
more in comparison with using direct generation of RTL from the nodes.

  I created a new branch in my repository for this project.  The
branch name is `stack_rtl_mjit` (https://github.com/vnmakarov/ruby/tree/stack-rtl-mjit-base).
All my work including MJIT will be done on this branch.  The previous
branch `rtl_mjit_branch` is frozen.

  The major code to generate RTL from stack insns is placed in a new
file rtl_gen.c.

  I am going to continue work on this branch.  My next plans will be a
merge with the trunk and fixing bugs.  It is a big job as the branch
is based on more than one year old trunk.

There were a lot of changes since then which will affect the code I am
working on.  The biggest one is Takashi Kokubun's work on MJIT for
YARV.  Another one is trace insns removal by Koichi Sasada.

I am planning to work on merging with trunk, unification of MJIT code
on trunk and the branch, and fixing bugs till April/May.  Sorry for a
slow pacing but I have no much time for this work until gcc-8 release
(probably middle of April).

After that I am going to work on MJIT optimizations including method
inlining.

Feature #12589: VM performance improvement proposal