On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> In message "Re: Symbols: More Functionality Wanted"
>     on 03/02/11, "Guy N. Hurst" <gnhurst / hurstlinks.com> writes:
> |So why not call it a "Mapping"?
> Can "mapping" mean set of maps from name to value?

yes it can, and "map" itself may mean that, as it is nearly-synonymous
with hashtable/dictionary in some other languages (e.g. YAML, Java2)

but those terms are too vague to mean anything specifically like
symbol-tables, and then we are choosing a word for *local*
symbol-tables, which is even more specific.

did we mention StackFrame or ActivationRecord ? I don't think those are
very good names, but they are already common ones for the same concept,
plus they could be starting points for finding better names.