Issue #12913 has been updated by akr (Akira Tanaka).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> What about this?
>
> * affects `PP.pp` and `Kernel#pp` only
> * try console window size, `COLUMNS` environment variable, then old good 80

It seems fine.

Feature #12913: A way to configure the default maximum width of pp

* Author: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
* Assignee: akr (Akira Tanaka)
* Target version:
How about having an easy way to configure the maximum width of a line of `pp` output?
Currently, `pp` accepts the maximum width as an optional argument:

    pp(big_array, $>, 120)

However, this is obviously too long for a useful debugging-purpose method like `pp`.  Even worse, we must add the fragment "`, $>, 120`" to all calls to `pp`.  I don't feel this is reasonable.

The patch attached provides `PP.default_maxwidth=` and `PP.default_maxwidth`, which can be used to configure the default setting of the maxwidth.

    PP.default_maxwidth = 1
    pp([1, 2, 3])
    #=> [1,
    #    2,