Issue #14414 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I think it would be a nice thing to unify ressources onto the *ruby-lang.org main namespace in general.

Not just trydiscourse - but I agree with Sam.

It may also be useful, provided that it may be possible, to think about having a webforum on
ruby-lang.org - but I don't want to really suggest it per se for now, because of work load
for others in setting up and maintaining it; which is, I think, another reasno why Sam's
suggestion is good, as it is just a read-only mirror. Meaning, it should be simpler for
people to read what is going on on the mailing lists for example.

I grew up in a world where phpbb was everywhere - I never got into mailing lists, could not
handle the traffic. So for people like me, that would be convenient.

> ruby forums has been sunset

Yes, this is also in a few ways unfortunate; not that ruby forums were that ... important
per se, perhaps; and stackoverflow also changed the landscape, but ruby forum was nice
in a sense that you did not have to handle mails (if we ignore the spam issue though).

I think that there is presently a lack of ruby resources for newcomers and semi-newbies
in ruby. We older ruby hackers may not depend as much on resources like that but younger
folks may benefit more from it. At any rate, +1 to what Sam wrote.

> There are more mailing lists on this server; is the idea that all would be mirrored,
> or not?

I personally have no preference there, or rather, don't mind either way. I think Martin
understands german too :) as I do, but I myself only use the english variants in general,
mostly because english is widespread and it lowers the barrier of entry for people
participating. Since I think languages should in general help people come together
rather than stay away, and also because ruby is sort of a subset of the english language
with an OOP focus in mind, I am perfectly fine to just have a read-only mirror for
english (or the main language used in the mailing lists).

> That one requires running proprietary JS and a corporate
> Terms-of-Service, though; and hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) has indicated he's willing
> to forward issues there.

I think static links and static archives are also fine in addition to that for
an archive; blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp format is fine. I guess it should be possible
to preserve/use both variants. I think the major point is actually to unify
resources onto the main ruby website. One could even think of putting rubygems
onto there too, but no worries, I digress here - I just like unified access to
a language's resources in general, largely due to "convenience of use" alone.

Anyway, let's try to get Sam to have a look at the thread here again and comment. :)

Misc #14414: Move https://ruby-talk.trydiscourse.com/ to talk.ruby-lang.org