carl.hoerberg / gmail.com wrote:
> Instead of using TCPSocket.open, wrapped in Timeout.timeout,
> that will create a temporary thread. By using Socket.tcp with
> the connect_timeout argument for open_timeout the connection
> opening is much more efficient as the kernels timeout is used
> instead.

Unfortunately, we can't do this, yet.  The Addrinfo calls use
getaddrinfo(3) which doesn't support timeout natively.

My goals for later this year is:

1) implement Timeout in the VM itself so it doesn't need to create
   a temporary thread.

2) update resolv-replace.rb to cover Addrinfo cases, including
   nscd cache lookup for glibc compatibility.