Issue #9528 has been updated by martin_vahi (Martin Vahi).

Given that my proposal is more general than the obsoleted mathn.rb,
would it be helpful, if I filed a new Feature Request that would
suggest an addition of a new class to the Ruby stdlib?

For example, the function apply_binary_operator might be
wrapped to a class named "Math_optimizations" and
the watershed concatenation algorithm would be the default
heuristic for the

~~~ ruby
    Math_optimizations.apply_binary_operator
~~~

The heuristic might be later changed by adding
an optional 4. argument to the function call.
The signature would look like:

~~~ ruby
    def Math_optimizations.apply_binary_operator(
        x_identity_element,array_in,
        func_operator_that_might_be_noncommutative,
        heuristic="watershed_concatenation")
~~~

Feature #9528: mathn.rb library