Issue #14336 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

It's not about what I think makes sense. I can provide you tons of code where people are using HWIA because it's a real problem Rubyists face every day some place around the globe. It's not hard to find too many examples on strings and symbols being used as hash keys. It would be hard to find a single code base though where you won't find a single hash using either symbols or strings as keys.

Now, can you show me many examples of applications using numerical non-integer values as hash keys? If you can't that means it's not a common issue, just one you're making up to try to get an argument since you lack one.

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class

* Author: dsferreira (Daniel Ferreira)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
From  the discussions on the three previous issues related to the String vs Symbol subject ([5964](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5964), [7792](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7792), [14277](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14277)) there are some conclusions we can assume:
* Current String vs Symbol is not the ideal scenario. See: Matz and Koichi comments.
* Current philosophy is to use Symbols as identifiers and Strings when strings are needed.
* Current situation is that Symbols are being used in many code bases as strings except for strings that really need the String methods.
* Current situation is that we are designing APIs to handle both String and Symbol inputs forcing an overhead of API development.

I propose the deprecation of `Symbol` class and the introduction of `String#symbol?`.

```ruby
foo = :foo
foo.class # => String
foo.symbol? # => true
bar = "bar"
bar.class # => String
bar.symbol? # => false
```

For backwards compatibility transition path I propose:

```ruby
class Symbol
  def self.===(var)
    warn ("Warning message regarding deprecated class")
    if var.class == Symbol
      true
    elsif var.class == String && var.symbol?
      true
    else
      false

class String