Issue #14336 has been updated by Hanmac (Hans Mackowiak).

rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas) wrote:
> > why are you guys not have a problem with that h[0] != h[0.0] ?
>
> Aren't you exaggerating? When did you ever need to use a non integer number as a hash key? I never did and I never saw a single code base using non integer numeric values as hash keys in all those years programming in Ruby or whatever other language. That argument makes zero sense.

what if you have hash data for a color gradient?
then you have `{ 0 => 'start color', 0.5 => 'step color', 1.0 => 'end color'}`
if you now would have 1 instead of 1.0 then it wouldn't be the same and your program would fail

> That argument makes zero sense.

isn't it cool how much "your" argument makes sense? saying that some argument makes no sense is the perfect way to silence other opinions
would be sad if someone would do that to you, ne?

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class