Issue #14336 has been updated by dsferreira (Daniel Ferreira).

> doc/extension.rdoc should tell you what you need to know.

Thanks Eric.

> That's as far
as I'm willing to help you on this topic.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer one or two questions. :-)

> IMHO, the incompatibility is too big

It will be an exercise.
Ruby will not be worst with it.
Will I lose my time? No.
I will learn and Im good with that.

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class

* Author: dsferreira (Daniel Ferreira)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
From  the discussions on the three previous issues related to the String vs Symbol subject ([5964](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5964), [7792](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7792), [14277](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14277)) there are some conclusions we can assume:
* Current String vs Symbol is not the ideal scenario. See: Matz and Koichi comments.
* Current philosophy is to use Symbols as identifiers and Strings when strings are needed.
* Current situation is that Symbols are being used in many code bases as strings except for strings that really need the String methods.
* Current situation is that we are designing APIs to handle both String and Symbol inputs forcing an overhead of API development.

I propose the deprecation of `Symbol` class and the introduction of `String#symbol?`.

```ruby
foo = :foo
foo.class # => String
foo.symbol? # => true
bar = "bar"
bar.class # => String
bar.symbol? # => false
```

For backwards compatibility transition path I propose:

```ruby
class Symbol
  def self.===(var)
    warn ("Warning message regarding deprecated class")
    if var.class == Symbol
      true
    elsif var.class == String && var.symbol?
      true
    else
      false

class String