Issue #14349 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

I think this is a bad idea.  If you do:

~~~ ruby
http = Net::HTTP.new('httpbin.org', 80)
http.get("/")
~~~

then it doesn't close the connection when making the GET request, and that's a bad thing. This breaks backwards compatibility and can result in connections being left open that were previously closed.

If you want to use persistent connections without calling start with a block, you need to call `#start` and `#finish` manually:

~~~ ruby
http = Net::HTTP.new('httpbin.org', 80)
http.start
10.times { http.get("/") }
http.finish
~~~

I do agree the documentation doesn't match the code.  I think the bad section of the documentation should be removed or reworded.

Bug #14349: Net::HTTP doesn't reuse connections when used via ::new