Issue #14336 has been updated by dsferreira (Daniel Ferreira).

> distinction was anticipated to be a point of
confusion for some users

That is very important to note, plus in Smalltalk there is no dictionary syntax that forces the user to use Symbols like ruby 1.9 hash syntax.

Smalltalk manual page specifically specifies that the use of Symbols should be an exception and that °»we generally use strings°….

Can we come up with a new syntax for symbols and let them be the exception again?

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class