Issue #14344 has been updated by kddeisz (Kevin Deisz).

I think we're talking about two different use cases. There is a place for refinements with large batch changes and a module is very appropriate for that. But for smaller refinements, which make life a lot easier, it's really not that far of a stretch. It's not that much different from `class Foobar ... end` being a shortcut for `Foobar = Class.new do ... end`

Feature #14344: refine at class level

* Author: kddeisz (Kevin Deisz)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I rely on refinements a lot, but don't want to keep writing `Module.new` in code. I'm proposing `Object::refine`, which would create an anonymous module behind the scenes with equivalent functionality. So:

~~~ ruby
class Test
  using Module.new {
    refine String do
      def refined?
        true
  }
end
~~~

would become

~~~ ruby
class Test
  refine String do
    def refined?
      true
~~~

It's a small change, but reads a lot more clearly. Thoughts?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/