>> I can (and will) only blame Rails for this misconception.

> What about ruby 1.9 Hash syntax? Wasn't it an invitation to use symbols all over the place? Who's to blame then?

Probably you misread me. I blame Rails for people thinking "Symbol and String is just ambigous, HashWithIndifferentAccess to rule them all!"

Ruby 1.9 Hash syntax is a blessing, and exactly because it forces to tell internal identifiers of external data.

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class