Issue #14336 has been updated by dsferreira (Daniel Ferreira).

zverok (Victor Shepelev) wrote:

> I can (and will) only blame Rails for this misconception.

What about ruby 1.9 Hash syntax? Wasn't it an invitation to use symbols all over the place? Who's to blame then?

Since ruby 1.9 it seems it is a crime to use strings as hash keys. And yes I still use the old hash syntax every time I have the chance but again. Fighting the status quo is an inglorious task...

Lets stop with blames here and fix the issue shall we?

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class