> It's pretty rare that someone would intentionally want `hash[:a]` to be different from `hash['a']`.

This (and most of the subsequent) is only true for a lazily designed web app with no boundaries between input and internals. For me, "I want to write `hash[:foo]` but this hash turns out to have string keys" is always a useful and enlightening sign of design flaw, not a sign of "Screw it and give my `HashWithIndifferentAccess`".

I can (and will) only blame Rails for this misconception. Funny thing Rails themselves eventually thought better against "just take this hash, it has all your GET params", but, being Rails, solved the problem by introducing some more "hash but not exactly hash" (`BlahParams`) concepts. \\\_()_/

Feature #14336: Create new method String#symbol? and deprecate Symbol class