Python allows to count strings, as follows:

`str.count(sub[, start[, end]])`
Return the number of non-overlapping occurrences of `substring` `sub` in the range `[start, end]`. Optional arguments `start` and `end` are interpreted as in slice notation.

Feature #13890: Allow a regexp as an argument to 'count', to count more interesting things than single characters

* Author: duerst (Martin Drst)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Currently, String#count only accepts strings, and counts all the characters in the string.

However, I have repeatedly met the situation where I wanted to count more interesting things in strings.
These 'interesting things' can easily be expressed with regular expressions.

Here is a quick-and-dirty Ruby-level implementation:

````Ruby
class String
  alias old_count count

  def count (what)
    case what
    when String
      old_count what
    when Regexp
      pos = -1
      count = 0
      count += 1 while pos = index(what, pos+1)
      count
````

Please note that the implementation counts overlapping occurrences; maybe there is room for an option like `overlap: :no`.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/