duerst / it.aoyama.ac.jp wrote:
> I'm all for better consistency. I thought there were clear
> guidelines for Ruby, and (almost) everybody was following
> them. I didn't know it was that bad.

Right, I remember it being 4 spaces per-level, and use TAB
whenever it's 8 spaces.  AFAIK, that's the Emacs default and I've
seen this in several other projects, so not uncommon..
In vim, I use: :set ts=8 sw=4 sts=4 noexpandtab

> But fixing spacing will obscure where the code originally came
> from. I don't really like that.

Agreed 100%.  Noise makes code archaelogy harder, I don't like
whitespace-only changes; but I'd be happy to see them if one is
in the affected area and already changing code, and the proposed
SVN bot might help with that...

I admit that I moved some existing all-space code not long ago
and did not notice it, but nobu fixed it for me :x

> To improve the situation, I have the following suggestions:

> 1) Install an SVN bot that fixes indents on newly committed
> lines automatically. That would hopefully catch the attention
> of the committers.

Instead of auto-fixing, it should email the committer;
that ought to reduce future screwups.