Issue #14217 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I can't say whether the name that you haved picked for the constant is good or bad - it seems a
bit long. But I agree on the general problem mentioned, so I am all for more fine-tuned control.

The ruby core team may have decide on the name perhaps.

> Currently, we cannot install gems using 2.5.0preview1.

I think there is another bug report that is vaguely related, e. g. a hardcoded ruby version
to 2.5.0 preview1, for ruby 2.4.3, so you may have a point there. Strictly speaking, the
release for 2.4.3 would be invalid if an internal gem depends on ANOTHER ruby version
that is HIGHER than the released ruby. :)

Feature #14217: Expose RUBY_PATCHLEVEL_STR or similar with patch level info for rc/preview as a constant