Hi,

In message "Re: value of assignment (Re: Order of the value of an expression changed? (PR#579))"
    on 03/02/11, Sean Chittenden <sean / chittenden.org> writes:

|> to be the same as:
|>
|>     f.b = 42
|>     i = 42
|
|Egads!  Really?

Really.

|That breaks from what the OO paradigm provides you
|with.  Try this on for size.  Things used to be this way:
|
|i=(f.b=(42))

The evaluated value of assignment in general is its right hand side
expression.  Although attribute assignment and slice assignment are
method calls in reality, they are still faking assignment, so that I
felt it must follow the rule of assignment value.  When the value of i
after

  i=f.b=42

is not 42, I would greatly surprise.  PomLA (principle of matz's least
astonishment) applied here.

							matz.