Documentation updated and improved in r61216.
The main Thread now also has report_on_exception=true for consistency with r61237 (it is not used though).
I think this feature is ready for 2.5.

Feature #14143: Thread.report_on_exception should be true by default

* Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
* Assignee: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
* Target version: 2.5
Extracted from #6647 to focus on the default value now that the feature is implemented.

I strongly believe we should have Thread.report_on_exception = true by default.

It only adds some extra stderr output for apps which let threads die, which is very rarely intended.
If it is intended, then one can use Thread.current.report_on_exception = false
to clarify it's OK for that thread to die and the failure is handled by the app on Thread#join.

I enabled Thread.report_on_exception=true by default in ruby/spec, see https://github.com/ruby/spec/pull/517,
the only cases needing Thread.current.report_on_exception=false
are the specs testing report_on_exception itself and Thread#join/value/status/raise.

Enabling it for test-all shows a fair amount of extra output and failures, which I would bet some of them are bugs in the tests (I already found one, r60854 & r60870),
and other tests should simply more carefully test what they expect
(for instance assert_raise() inside the Thread just around the code raising an exception and join the Thread).

I am willing to help to reduce the extra output and failures in test-all,
but I would like a OK from Matz to try enabling Thread.report_on_exception by default.

Dear Matz, do you think it is reasonable to show exceptions killing threads on stderr by default,
instead of silently swallowing them until Thread#join ?
(if there is ever a Thread#join ..., often not or too late, when the rest of the application has crashed)

0001-Set-Thread.report_on_exception-true-by-default-to-re.patch (5.27 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/