There is a C preprocessor flag USE_UNICODE_PROPERTIES that is used e.g. in enc/unicode/10.0.0/name2ctype.h. I have never actually seen this, but it may be possible that your version of Ruby is compiled without this flag on. I don't see any reason why this should be Windows-specific; these properties are useful independent of the OS.

Bug #14137: Windows / MinGW - Regexp - Character Properties - General Category

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.5.0dev (2017-11-28 trunk 60925) [x64-mingw32]
* Backport: 2.3: UNKNOWN, 2.4: UNKNOWN
While testing RDoc on Appveyor, and the recently 'added' literals.kpeg file, I had several errors across Ruby versions 2.2 thru trunk.

It seems that the `\p{}` constructs listed [here](https://msp-greg.github.io/ruby_trunk/file.regexp.html#label-Character+Properties) under 'General Category' generate an `invalid character property name {**}` error for many of the listed constructs.

Conversely, the constructs listed previously (eg \p{Alpha}, \p{Lower}, \p{Space}, etc) seem to work.

I briefly looked at the regexp tests, and they don't seem to test these.

Are these unavailable on Windows?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/