On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Charles O Nutter wrote:

> I've studied the rdoc code a bit (only so much as to maintain my sanity) and
> wondered aloud: is this all hand-written, hand-optimized code? It did not

I've not heard any different.

> appear to be generated, and I have seen hand-rolled patches trickle in over
> time. Is there perhaps a better way to parse all that content and generate
> those docs that would not require a hand-made implementation?

Such as what?  The only ruby parsers that exist are the C one and the
JRuby one.  I suppose one might clone these, then modify them to
extract information from comments as well as code.   I think it
would be nontrivial, which is probably why people are satisfied with
what works well at present.  And Rdoc handles other languages than
Ruby (C, and I think Fortran).  So, how to proceed in manageable steps?

        Hugh