duerst (Martin Drst) wrote:

> Using multiple consecutive slashes in an URI is a bad idea.

It definitely doesn't play nicely with dot-segment resolution, but then I wouldn't want to bear the burden of deciding how to resolve that, one way or the other.

In this particular case, I think it is *incorrect* to automatically remove empty segments, but I also think it's bad to have them in the first place.

What if there was a way for the programmer to explicitly invoke the current behaviour (e.g. by sending a different message), so the side-effect is expected?

Bug #8352: URI squeezes a sequence of slashes in merging paths when it shouldn't