knu (Akinori MUSHA) wrote:

> I presume there are few programmers who would rely on the current behavior.

I agree that there should be few programmers who would rely on subsequent slashes to be collapsed to a single slash. However, I also think it's a bad idea for programmers or users to rely on multiple consecutive slashes to be preserved. Using multiple consecutive slashes in an URI is a bad idea.

Bug #8352: URI squeezes a sequence of slashes in merging paths when it shouldn't