I think rather than using true/false to distinguish single and double quotes, it would be better to have a keyword parameter, such as `quotes: :single` (and quotes: :double, but that would be default).

Also, "prime quote" isn't used widely. Please check e.g. "prime quote" and "single quote" on your favorite search engine. In addition, U+2032 (, PRIME) is a different character. (The official name of U+0027 is APOSTROPHE.)

Also, please think about encodings. Some people may want all non-ASCII characters escaped, but others may not want that at all.

Feature #12275: String unescape

* Author: asnow (Andrew Bolshov)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
I think it will be usefull to have function that convert input string as it was written in prime qouted string or in double qouted string. It's part of metaprogramming.
Example:

~~~ ruby
class String
  # Create new string like it will be writed in qoutes. Optional argument define type of qouting used: true - prime qoute, false - double qoute. Default is double qoute.
  def unescape prime = false
    eval( prime ? "'#{self}'" : "\"#{self}\"" )

"\\\t".unescape # => "\t"
~~~

Other requests:
http://www.rubydoc.info/github/ronin-ruby/ronin-support/String:unescape