My guess is that self.class mostly appears in the context of metaprogramming. Metaprogramming is already not as concise as plain programs anyway, so the `self.class` may not be that much of an issue. Using `class` in general code should be avoided anyway, and replaced with `resopnd_to?`,...

Also, with something like `klass`, all Ruby users would have to learn this special case.

Feature #10183: An alternative name for method `class`

* Author: sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
The method `class` is special in that it always has to have an explicit receiver in order to avoid crash with the keyword `class`. But this is very inconvenient. I have seen so many

    self.class

in codes. I propose that there should be an alternative name for this method so that it can be used with an implicit receiver, and the method name `class` should be gradually depricated.

As for the name, I have no clear idea. I can only think of `klass`, but perhaps someone else might come up with a better name.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/