Issue #13498 has been updated by RubyBugs (A Nonymous).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> Weakref is implemented by finalizer to notify that an object is collected, and you can't define finalizers on frozen objects.
> Probably we need to move finalizer flags to a separate region (like bitmap marking).

Yes please. I also came here having discovered this independently, and also see it as a bug. It makes designs using frozen objects difficult to this friction with a leaky abstraction in the language implementation.

Unless I am mistaken, and mutating objects is an intentional part of the design of the GC system?

Bug #13498: Weakref, Weakmap and define_finalizer don't work on frozen objects