It breaks other tests which mock `$stdout` and `$stderr`.

Feature #14042: IO#puts: use writev if available

* Author: rohitpaulk (Paul Kuruvilla)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hi,

I've attached a patch to make IO#puts use writev if available. Currently, IO#puts calls `write` twice: Once to write the string, and the second to write a newline (if the string doesn't end with one already). With this patch, those two calls are replaced with a single `writev` call.

A test has been added that demonstrates the problem.

For a bit of background:

* A related issue: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9420. (I couldn't figure out a way to 'attach' my patch to that issue, so I'm creating a new one)
* A blog post I wrote a while back about this: https://hackernoon.com/rubys-puts-is-not-atomic-889c57fc9a28

Command I used to run the test I added: `make test-all TESTS='ruby/test_io.rb -n test_puts_parallel'`

I'm a first time contributor, a bit confused as to where a changelog entry should be added. Is the `NEWS` file the right place?

Regards,
Paul

ruby-changes.patch (2.39 KB)

--